Things to Buy for a New House
You are moving to new a house, that’s a lot of pressure and excitement, isn’t it? Before moving into your new home, you need to make sure you have everything you need on your list so that you don’t miss out on anything after moving to your new house. Your checklist should have a list of essentials; these are things you will need immediately when you shift.
The checklist will also help you estimate how much you need to spend on things and weigh the costs of these things. It is important to note that the list does not include furnishing, as it greatly depends on your taste.
See Also: Tips for Buying a House in a New City
Here’s a guided checklist below for the essentials that you will need to buy for your new house:
- First Aid Kit – Having a first-aid kit is a must; you never know the minor accidents you could run into when you’re starting fresh in a new house.
- Toolkit – A toolkit is essential, especially if you are not very handy. There might be some repairs that you will have to do when moving into your new home, and it’s better to be safe than sorry.
- Dishwashing Detergent and Dishcloth – You’re going to need these to clean all of your dishes when you first move in.
- Broom and Dustpan – You’re going to have to sweep and vacuum the floors as soon as you move in, so having these on hand is a must.
- Toilet Paper and Tissues – It’s always important to keep these stocked up because these are needed. You can’t do without these!
- Garbage Bags – You’re going to need these to put all of your garbage in, so you don’t have to worry about it piling up.
- Cleaning Supplies – You’re going to want to buy a bottle of all-purpose cleaner, window cleaner, and a rag or two.
- Batteries – You will need batteries and flashlights for safety use, you know, just in case the fuse blows out or if there are no lights.
Smart Home Essentials
Other than basic stuff, you also need a technological backup.
- Modem – You will need WiFi at home to work or any other appliances that work on WiFi.
- Router – The modem will require a router for the WiFi to work, so you need to buy both of them and have them installed in your house.
- Cable Box – If you want cable in your new home, you’re going to have to rent or buy a cable box from the company.
- Home Security System – This is something you should consider, especially if you’re living in a new, unfamiliar place.
- Thermostat: If you want to save on your electric bill, you should buy a thermostat that can be controlled remotely.
See Also: How to Setup Internet After a Move
Kitchen Supplies and Appliances
- Refrigerator – You will need a fridge for your new house to store food, drinks, and whatever else you might need to keep cold.
- Range – A stove is needed in every kitchen, especially if you are going to cook for yourself; you will need it.
- Microwave – A microwave is a must-have, especially if you’re someone who doesn’t like to cook on the range.
- Dishwashers – Dishwashers are very helpful, especially if you have a lot of dishes to clean. You can just put all your dishes on this appliance and get it washed for you.
- Pots and Pans – If you’re not going to be using the range for cooking, you will need pots and pans to cook with on the stove. You will need something to store your food in, right?
- Tableware – Plates, cups, silverware, etc. You will need these for when you have guests over. And if not guests, you will need these for yourself and your family.
- Kitchen Towels – Now, this item comes in handy when you need to wipe your hand when they get wet while washing your vegetables or fruit. Kitchen towels can also be used to wipe the kitchen counter clean.
- Napkins – Napkins come in handy when you’re eating, whether you’re using them to wipe your mouth or hands.
- Sponges – A sponge is a must-have for cleaning the kitchen counters and other appliances. It helps absorb all the oil and food stains that occur on the kitchen countertops or ranges while cooking.
- Towels – You will need bath towels for yourself when you move into your new home.
- Shower Curtain – If you do not want to get your floor wet, you will need a shower curtain to prevent the water from going outside the shower area.
- Rugs – You will need a rug for the bathroom, so you don’t have to stand on cold tiles every morning when you’re taking a shower.
- Toilet Brush – One of the most important things you will need to clean your toilet with.
- Toilet Paper Holder – A toilet paper holder is very important so that you have a place to put your toilet paper and not have to worry about it getting wet while you’re taking a shower.
- Bath Mats – These mats will keep your feet from getting wet when you step out of the bathtub.
- Window Curtains – You will need window curtains to cover your windows while you’re taking a shower or bath so that people outside can’t see in.
- Toilet cleaner – You will also need to buy a bottle of toilet cleaner to keep your toilet clean.
- Washing Machine – You will need a washing machine to wash your clothes.
- Drying Rack – A drying rack is very helpful, especially if you don’t have a clothes dryer.
- Ironing Board – An ironing board is another important item that you will need to keep your clothes wrinkle-free.
- Iron – An iron is very helpful in removing wrinkles from clothes.
- Lint Roller – A lint roller will help you get all the lint off your clothes before you put them in the dryer.
- Clothes Hangers – You will need a lot of clothes hangers to hang up your clothes.
- Laundry Detergent – You will need laundry detergent to wash your clothes with.
- Dryer Sheets – Dryer sheets help keep your clothes from getting staticky and help make them smell good.
- Tarps – Tarps can be very helpful in covering furniture or anything else you might not want to get wet while moving.
- Bags – You will need a lot of bags to put your clothes and other belongings in.
- Boxes – Boxes are very helpful when packing up your belongings and moving them from one place to another.
- Storage Containers – Storage containers can come in handy when you’re trying to organize your belongings.
- Label Maker – A label maker can come in handy when you want to know what is in each of your storage containers.
- Packing Tape – Packing tape is very important when packing up your belongings. You will need a lot of it.
Things for Your Living Room
- Furniture – You may want new furniture if the furniture from your previous house is ruined or was rented or sold.
- Couch – A couch is a must-have in every living room.
- Sofa – A sofa can also come in handy, especially if you have a lot of people over for parties or get-togethers.
- Recliner – A recliner is perfect for those days when you just want to relax and watch TV.
- Area Rug – An area rug is perfect for placing in front of the couch or sofa to add color and style to the room.
- TV Stand – A TV stand is necessary to place your TV on a table instead of on the floor.
- DVD Player – If you want to watch DVDs, you will need a DVD player (Only if it’s required).
- Coffee Table – A coffee table is perfect for putting your drinks or snacks on while you’re watching TV or talking with friends and family.
- End Table – An end table can also help put things on, such as a lamp or a book.
- Lamps – Lamps are perfect for adding some light to the room and making it look cozy.
- Pictures – Pictures are a great way to personalize your living room and make it feel like home.
Also Read: Things to Do Before Moving Into a New House
- Bed – A bed is a must-have in any bedroom.
- Sheets – Sheets are necessary for covering your bed.
- Comforter – A comforter is perfect for keeping you warm on those cold winter nights.
- Pillows – Pillows are perfect for putting your head on when you’re trying to sleep.
- Mattress Pad – A mattress pad is perfect for adding some extra comfort to your mattress.
- Blankets – Blankets are perfect for snuggling up under while you watch TV or read a book.
- Nightstand – A nightstand is perfect for placing your alarm clock, book, and other nighttime essentials on.
- Mirror – A mirror is perfect for checking your appearance before you head out the door.
- Clothes Hamper – A clothes hamper is perfect for storing your dirty clothes until you have time to do laundry.
- Storage Ottoman – A storage ottoman can come in handy for storing blankets, sheets, or any other type of bedding.
See Also: Average Cost to Move a 4 Bedroom House
- Water hose – A water hose is perfect for watering your plants.
- Garden hose nozzle – A garden hose nozzle is perfect for controlling the water flow from your water hose.
- Spade – A spade is perfect for digging holes in the ground for your plants.
- Shovel – A shovel is perfect for moving dirt and mulch around in your garden.
- Rake – A rake is perfect for smoothing out the soil in your garden.
- Trowel – A trowel is perfect for planting seeds and bulbs in your garden.
- Fertilizer – Fertilizer is perfect for giving your plants the nutrients they need to grow big and strong.
- Pruners – Pruners are perfect for trimming your plants’ branches and leaves.
- Bug spray – Bug spray is perfect for keeping the bugs away from your plants.
- Hose reel – A hose reel is perfect for keeping your water hose organized and out of the way.
- Lawnmower – A lawnmower is perfect for keeping your lawn looking neat and tidy.
- Leaf blower – A leaf blower is perfect for getting rid of all the leaves that have fallen on your lawn.
- Wheelbarrow – A wheelbarrow is perfect for transporting dirt, mulch, and other gardening supplies around your yard.
- Patio table – A patio table is perfect for placing your drinks and snacks on while you’re relaxing in the sun.
- Patio chairs – Patio chairs are perfect for sitting in while you’re reading a book or taking a nap.
- Outdoor rug – An outdoor rug is perfect for placing in front of the patio table to add some color and style to the area.
- Lanterns – Lanterns are perfect for adding some light to your patio at night.
- Firepit – A fire pit is perfect for keeping you warm on those cool fall nights.
- Grill – A grill is perfect for cooking up your favorite burgers and hot dogs.
- Storage shed – A storage shed is perfect for storing all of your patio furniture when it’s not in use.
Also Read: Where to Find Used Furniture When You Move
[Note: Some of the things given in the list above may or may not be necessary for you, so you can choose whatever you like for your new home.]
When you want to move into a new house, there are so many things to consider, so many things you would want to buy, and keep a budget in mind. Have fun decorating your new house, and enjoy your new home! Sometimes these experiences can get overwhelming, but this list is compiled of must-haves that will make the transition a little bit smoother.
I’m in the market for new furniture, what should I buy?
If you’re looking for new furniture to add to your house, you should consider buying a bed frame, a couch, a TV stand, and a dining room set.
See Also: How To Move Out Of A Rental Property
What kind of appliances should I buy?
Some appliances that you may want to consider buying for your new house are a refrigerator, a stove, a dishwasher, and a washer and dryer.
Should I buy a home security system?
It’s up to you whether or not you want to buy a home security system. However, it is something that you may want to consider if you’re concerned about the safety of your home and your belongings.
See Also: Tips for Moving into a Newly Built Home
Do I need to buy a lawnmower?
If you want to keep your lawn looking neat, then you may want to consider buying a lawnmower. However, it is not necessary.
What other things should I buy?
You may want to buy some gardening supplies, such as a spade, a shovel, and a rake. You may also want to buy some outdoor furniture, such as a patio table and chairs, and lawn decorations, like lanterns and a fire pit. Whatever you decide to buy, just make sure that you stay within your budget.
Enter your information to view your quote.
Your information is safe with us. By using this service, you agree to receive email communications solely regarding your relocation process