How to Use Furniture Moving Sliders
One of the most daunting tasks can be getting your furniture from point A to point B when you’re moving. You could try to carry everything yourself, but that’s guaranteed to be back-breaking work. And even if you do manage to get everything moved, there’s a good chance something will get scratched or dented in the process.
The good news is, there’s an easy solution to this problem – furniture moving sliders! These nifty little devices make it a breeze to move even the heaviest pieces of furniture, and they’ll protect your floors from scratches too. In this article, you will know how to use furniture moving sliders, types, advantages, and disadvantages of furniture moving sliders.
What is a furniture slider?
Most furniture moving sliders are made of plastic or metal, and they have a padded bottom to prevent scratches. To use them, simply place the slider under one side of the piece of furniture you want to move. Then, lift the other side of the furniture and place it on top of the slider. Once the furniture is balanced on the slider, you can easily push it across the floor.
There are different types of furniture sliders, but the most common are round and oval. Some sliders have handles to make them easier to grip, and others have a textured bottom that helps them grip the floor.
Types of Furniture Moving Sliders
- Round Sliders: Round sliders are the most common type of furniture slider. They’re usually made of plastic, metal, or even rubber, and they have a padded bottom to prevent damages to the floor. To utilize round sliders, simply lay the slider underneath one side of the furniture you wish to relocate. Then lift the other end of the furniture and drop it on top of the slider. After you’ve balanced the piece on the slider, you may easily move it across the floor.
- Oval Sliders: Oval sliders are similar to round sliders, but they’re shaped like an oval instead of a circle. They’re typically made of plastic or metal, and they have a padded bottom to prevent scratches. This is one of the most used furniture moving sliders.
- Plastic Sliders: Plastic sliders are made of plastic, and they have a padded or cushioned bottom to prevent scratches or marks on the floor. To utilize them, put the sliders beneath either side of the furniture that you wish to relocate. Then move the furniture across the floor once it’s balanced on the sliders. You may easily move the table across the floor once it’s balanced on the slider.
- Metal Sliders: Metal sliders are made of metal, and they have a nail and rubber cushion so that the furniture can be moved with ease. Metal sliders are more durable than plastic sliders and can be used on heavier pieces of furniture, and they also reduce friction and noise.
- Felt Sliders: Felt sliders are made of felt, and they have a rubber foam bottom to avoid damage. These floor glides are intended to protect your hardwood floors from heavy furniture without causing damage. These padded furniture sliders may be used on hardwood, ceramic tiles, vinyl, laminate, linoleum, and even cement surfaces.
See Also: How to Use Furniture Sliders When Moving
Advantages of using furniture sliders
- Prevents Damage: One of the best things about furniture moving sliders is that they protect your furniture from scratches and dents. By using sliders, you can move heavy pieces of furniture without worrying about causing any damage.
- Reduces Friction: Another great thing about furniture moving sliders is that they reduce friction. This makes it easier to move heavy pieces of furniture, and it also reduces the noise that can be caused by moving furniture.
- Easy to Use: Sliders are incredibly easy to use – all you have to do is place them under the furniture, lift it, and put it on top of the slider. This makes it easy for anyone to move furniture, regardless of their strength or size.
- Inexpensive: Furniture sliders are very inexpensive and can be found at most hardware stores. This makes them an excellent option for people who are on a budget.
- Versatile: Sliders can be used on various surfaces, including hardwood, ceramic tile, vinyl, laminate, and linoleum. This makes them a versatile option for people who need to move furniture on a variety of different surfaces.
Disadvantages of using furniture sliders
- They can scratch your floors: One of the disadvantages of using furniture sliders is that they can scratch your floors. You may end up scratching your hardwood floors or your ceramic tile floors if you aren’t careful.
- They can slide out from under the furniture: Another disadvantage of using furniture sliders is that they can slide out from under the furniture. Ensure that the sliders are placed properly under the furniture or you may end up dropping your furniture on the floor.
- They can be challenging to use on stairs: Furniture sliders can be challenging to use on stairs. If you’re not careful, you may end up sliding your furniture down the stairs.
- They can be challenging to use on the carpet: Furniture sliders can also be difficult to use on the carpet. If you’re not handling it carefully, you may end up sliding your furniture across the room.
- They can be dangerous: Furniture sliders can also be dangerous. You may end up slipping and falling while trying to move your furniture and severely injure yourself.
- They can damage your floors: Finally, furniture sliders can also damage your floors if you’re not careful. If you scratch your floors with the furniture sliders, you may end up causing permanent damage.
How to Use a Furniture Slider?
Furniture Sliders are easy to use, and they can be used on a variety of surfaces, including hardwood, ceramic tile, vinyl, laminate, and linoleum. To use furniture sliders:
Ask For Help
When dealing with a lightweight piece of furniture, you may very well be able to move it without assistance. However, when moving huge and bulky furniture items and appliances, you’ll need the help of at least one additional person to properly align the sliders and slide the heavy item across the floor.
Attach the Sliders
If your sliders have adhesive backs, attach them directly to the furniture item you wish to move. If your sliders do not have adhesive backs, place them under the furniture instead.
Lift and Slide
Once the sliders are in place, have your helper ready to lift the furniture item and carefully slide it across the floor. Remember to keep the furniture level as you move it; otherwise, you could cause damage to your floors or the furniture itself.
Remove the Sliders
Once the furniture item is in its new position, remove the sliders and put them away for future use. It is suggested that you remove the furniture sliders, one by one, to avoid losing them.
See Also: How to use Furniture Pads for Moving
Tips for Moving Furniture with Sliders
- If your sliders are difficult to slide on the carpet, try spraying them with a light layer of cooking oil.
- When moving furniture downstairs, have one person at the top and one at the bottom to help guide and stabilize the item.
- If you’re having trouble getting the furniture to move, try tapping or scratching the floor with your foot in the direction you want the furniture to go.
- Always keep a close eye on children and pets when using furniture sliders, as they may be tempted to play with them.
- Avoid using furniture sliders on the Berber carpet, as they can get stuck in the loops.
How to make DIY furniture sliders?
Furniture sliders are readily available in the market, but you can also make them at home with some old socks and a hot glue gun.
- Cut the socks: Cut the socks into circles of about 3-4 inches in diameter.
- Apply glue: Apply glue to the center of each sock circle.
- Stick it down: Stick the sock circle to the bottom of the furniture you wish to slide.
- Let it dry: Let the glue dry completely before using the furniture sliders.
- Enjoy: You’re now ready to enjoy your newly moved furniture!
Tips for DIY Furniture Sliders
- If your socks are too thin, they may tear when you try to slide the furniture. In this case, it is suggested that you use a thicker sock or multiple socks for each slider.
- Make sure the glue is completely dry before using the sliders. If not, they may not slide smoothly on the floor.
- Keep extra socks on hand if any of the circles get torn during use. Simply cut a new circle from another sock and replace the old one.
- If your furniture is hefty, it is suggested that you use more than one slider per piece of furniture. You can either make more DIY sliders or buy some from the store.
Where to buy furniture sliders?
When moving without the aid of a professional mover, furniture sliders are necessary pieces of equipment. You can purchase furniture slides at most home improvement stores or online.
Here are a few popular options for purchasing furniture sliders:
- Home Depot
There are also specialty stores that sell only furniture sliders if you’re having trouble finding them at your local home improvement store. Be sure to read the reviews before purchasing any sliders, as some brands may work better than others on different surfaces.
Moving furniture can be difficult, especially if you’re doing it alone. To make the process easier on yourself and your back, use sliders that are designed for this purpose to move heavy items across hardwood floors or carpeting with ease. These moving equipment slides will help you avoid unnecessary wear and tear on both your flooring and furniture as you relocate. You can purchase these sliders at most home improvement stores, and there are even some specialty stores that sell nothing but furniture slides. Be sure to read the reviews before purchasing any sliders, as some brands may work better than others on different surfaces.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you lift heavy furniture to put sliders under them?
If the furniture is hefty, you may need to use all your strength to get it moving. Be careful not to damage the sliders. With just a little effort, you can easily move your furniture around using sliders.
What can I use for moving sliders?
Use a thick towel with a soft side to move heavy things on hard floors, such as wood or tile. Use thick cardboard or, even better, old Frisbees to transport oversized items across carpeted areas.
Can you leave furniture sliders on?
No. Furniture sliders should be removed after each use to avoid damaging floors. If they are not going to be reused, they should be discarded.
Can you use furniture moving sliders on laminate flooring?
Yes, you can use furniture moving sliders on all types of flooring, with the exception of thick or shaggy carpets.
Enter your information to view your quote.
Your information is safe with us. By using this service, you agree to receive email communications solely regarding your relocation process