How to Get Low-Income Moving Assistance
When it comes to moving, it’s pretty expensive. However, you can cut down on some costs by receiving low-income moving assistance. Some companies offer this type of service for free when you’re relocating because of a job. Other companies may offer a discounted rate since they know your new employer is footing part of the bill. If you’re currently looking for a job, it’s important to ask about this. Here are some common questions that people may have regarding low-income moving assistance.
- What is low-income moving assistance?
- How do I get low-income moving assistance?
- Are there restrictions on low-income moving assistance?
- Where can I get low-income moving assistance?
What is low-income moving assistance?
When you receive low-income moving assistance, it means that a company provides free services or discounted prices to their customers. All companies don’t offer this type of service. It’s typically provided to people relocating because of a new job. Opting for low-income moving assistance can help you save a lot of money when relocating.
However, those who offer this type of benefit will change the cost of your move based on your income.
How do I get low-income moving assistance?
Those who want to receive low-income moving assistance must first meet with a representative from the company offering this service. This representative will ask for your monthly income and other information to see if you qualify. In some instances, you may have to prove that your new place of employment is covering part of your moving costs. This means that you’ll need to get in touch with your new employer before you can receive low-income moving assistance.
See also: Top-Rated Affordable Moving Companies
Are there restrictions on low-income moving assistance?
There are some limitations that companies may have when it comes to offering their customers low-income moving assistance. For example, if you’re unemployed or looking for a job, they may not provide this type of service since you don’t have a steady income. Some companies may also have an age limit on receiving this type of benefit.
In addition, the location from which you’re moving may also determine whether low-income moving assistance is offered or not. For example, if you want to relocate to another city that’s far away from where you currently live, then the company you’re working with may not offer this service.
Also Read: Long Distance Move On A Budget
Where can I get low-income moving assistance?
There are many charities you can apply to for moving. These charities help you move by using your current job as criteria for qualification.
Salvation army is an organization that helps in reducing poverty. The organization has more than 8000 organizations worldwide, and it has been recognized as a 501c3 charity organization. The organization is not limited to just the people of a certain religion, race, or culture. This makes the Salvation Army rich in diversity. The organization also has a special fund that helps in reducing poverty for those who have lost jobs using their unemployment benefits.
The organization has more than 3 million volunteers outreach programs providing moving assistance. The Salvation Army aims at improving the lives of people in need with its wide range of outreach programs.
The organization also helps with a special fund to provide low-income moving assistance. These are but a few areas that have received help from the salvation army over the years through their various programs that help in reducing poverty. The organization has since been involved in providing free moving boxes for packing and even offers a free truck that can be used for transport.
- Qualification – The organization provides a few moving programs. You need to produce low-income documents and show proof of what you need assistance for.
- How to apply – Apply on the central provide shelter page so that you can locate the nearest salvation army and ask for assistance.
Catholic Charities USA is a philanthropic organization that provides help with various social services to people in need.
The organization has more than 165 organizations that are spread out across America. The organization also has programs to ensure that children are well taken care of and eliminate poverty. Along with these services, they also provide moving assistance to those in need.
- Qualification – The organization provides low-income moving assistance to people who have lost their jobs and can’t afford to pay for their move.
- How to apply – Visit your local Catholic Charities office and fill out a form that will be used in determining your eligibility.
The YWCA was founded in 1855 and is one of the oldest nonprofit organizations across America. The organization provides support to women, youth, and children in need, especially if these women and children are escaping a domestic abuse environment.
The organization provides moving assistance to women and children in need after escaping a domestic abuse environment. This is done using its transitional housing program. The organization also has a job center that helps provide employment opportunities and secure jobs for the people it assists.
- Qualification – The YWCA offers low-income moving assistance, especially to women and children who have escaped a domestic abuse environment.
- How to apply – Contact the YWCA in your area for more information on how you can get low-income moving assistance.
Modest Needs’ Self-Sufficiency Grants
Modest Needs is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to help needy families complete their move successfully. The organization offers Self-Sufficiency Grants aimed at helping local charities provide low-income moving assistance to people in need.
The organization provides low-income moving assistance grants of $1000 that do not require any repayments and only ask the community service provider to provide the family with food, medicine, and even household items.
- Qualification – The organization offers moving assistance grants aimed at helping people in need complete their move successfully. It would help if you showed that you live in poverty or below the poverty line to qualify for the moving assistance grants.
- How to apply – You can go online and check out the Modest Needs Self Sufficiency Grant page for more information on how you can get low-income moving assistance.
Housing Foundation Industry Association
Housing Foundation Industry Association is a group of America’s leading housing and industry organizations. The organization provides affordable moving assistance to those who qualify.
The organization provides low-income moving assistance to people who can’t afford their move. They do this by offering free boxes and vans used to transport goods free of charge.
- Qualification – You need to be below a certain income bracket or show that you live in poverty to qualify for affordable moving assistance.
- How to apply – Visit the Housing Foundation Industry Association website for more information on how you can get low-income moving assistance.
See also: Where to Get Moving Boxes for Free
Moving assistance and grants for low-income families
Federal Relocation Assistance Program
The Federal Relocation Assistance Program is an initiative by the Department of Defense to ensure that the policy and program initiatives promote a successful military move.
The organization offers low-income moving assistance through its regional offices and installation liaisons across America.
- Qualification – You need to be a member of the military or civilian employee at one of the military installations to qualify for federal moving assistance.
- How to apply – Visit the Federal Relocation Assistance Program website to learn more about how you can get low-income moving assistance.
Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Grant
The Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Grant is a federal grant intended to aid homeless people or those on the verge of becoming homeless. The initiative also helped them to get back on their feet.
- Qualification – You need to be below a certain income bracket or currently living in poverty to qualify for the Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Grant.
- How to apply – Visit the Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-housing website page for more information on how you can get low-income moving assistance.
IRS Moving Expenses Deduction
The IRS Moving Expenses Deduction is a tax deduction that applies to civilians who have been working outside their home state for at least one year. However, the deduction is suspended till 2025 for families not from military backgrounds. But this organization is beneficial for those who are from a military background.
- Qualification – You need to meet certain requirements to qualify for the IRS Moving Expenses Deduction.
- How to apply – Visit the IRS website page to learn more about how you can get low-income moving assistance.
Other ways you get help for your move
There are other ways you get help for your move. Some of these include:
- The government gives you a tax deduction for your moving expenses if you meet the requirements. This is one way to save money on a budget while still getting some assistance.
- Donation centers and charities give out household items that can assist your move. Among these are things like boxes, bubble wrap, and tape. This way you don’t have to pay for them yourself.
- Hire someone to do your packing for you. You can hire professionals or friends of family members who might be able to pack up your items for you at a relatively low cost. Just make sure they are trustworthy.
- Be sure to plan everything out before you move. This will enable you to predict costs and ensure that you have the proper funds to get your move done right. This way, you won’t have to worry about getting the appropriate assistance and saving money simultaneously.
- Ask your employer if the moving expenses can be reimbursed. If you are relocating for work purposes, ask your employer to reimburse some of your costs.
There are various ways that people can get assistance when moving, regardless of their income level. Some of the ways include getting low-income moving assistance through a Free Moving Assistance Grant, applying for a Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-housing Grant, taking advantage of the IRS Moving Expenses Deduction, or being reimbursed by your employer. No matter what, you will have assistance when moving if you are prepared and willing to do some research. This way, you can save money while still getting the assistance you need.
Which people would qualify for getting low-income moving assistance?
People who are members of the military, civilians at one of the military installations, people who meet certain requirements to receive the Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-housing Grant, people who have been working outside their home state for at least a year before applying for the IRS Moving Expenses Deduction, and people who meet certain requirements for work-related relocations.
What are the requirements for getting low-income moving assistance?
You must be a member of the military, or from one of the military installations, you must meet eligibility requirements to receive the Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-housing Grant. You must meet certain requirements to get the IRS Moving Expenses Deduction, and you must meet work-related relocating qualifications.
How do I get low-income moving assistance?
There are many ways to get low-income moving assistance. You can get help from charities or donation centers that give out household supplies like boxes and tape; you can get help from friends or family who will pack up your items at a low cost; you can hire someone to do the packing for you and more. Just make sure to plan everything out to have money left over after paying for your move.
What are other ways to get help with your move?
Some other ways include applying for a Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-housing Grant, getting the IRS Moving Expenses Deduction, or having your employer reimburse you. No matter what you choose, there is always some assistance available if you prepare accordingly. Just make sure to do your research and plan everything out.
Also Read: How to Read a Moving Contract
Enter your information to view your quote.
Your information is safe with us. By using this service, you agree to receive email communications solely regarding your relocation process