Long distance moving is a bit intricate and complicated than local moving. This is as a result of the much work involved in both planning, organizing and executing the move. High costs involved in this kind of move are also something to be keen of, if you intend to have a successful move. It therefore becomes imperative for anyone intending to move, to put necessary checks and balances towards reducing the overall costs involved in the long distance moving and relocation process.
Long distance moving quotes go a long way in helping you manage your moving costs effectively. Before settling for any company to facilitate your moving needs, it’s important to first get moving quotes of at least four companies and analyze them among other company’s fundamentals to get the best quote that will suitably fall within your budget. More often than not, any long distance moving quote is a variable of both weight and distance to be covered. This means that the higher the weight of your stuff, and the longer the distance covered, the higher the moving company quotes. This may also vary as per your other special needs.
Long distance moving company estimate should at least contain one of the following information:
- A detailed list of all your belongings with their respective weights, volume and mileage,
- Any packing and supplies to be used in relocation as per your requirements
- Any extra charges like narrow streets, extra staircases, moving vehicles and crates used in packing,
- Insurance costs,
- Cost of storage including respective time, volume and weight of your items,
- Terms of payments preferred by the mover.
Why bother to get long distance moving quotes?
Just like other moving considerations,long distance moving company quotes has its importance in that;
- The quote facilitates your decision on the best company to partake your moving needs. This is done by comparing different estimates from different service providers and companies, which enables you to settle for that company with a quote close to you anticipated budget.
- With moving quotes, you are able to save on moving costs and hence saving for other post relocation needs.
Considerations before settling for any moving quotes
The fact that every move is unique depending on the customer’s specific needs and the route to be taken makes it a little harder in choosing the appropriate quotes. You can’t just depend on your neighbor advice; you need to go any extra mile. Please consider the following;
- Quality of the service offered by the moving company
Cheap may be expensive in the long run. Moving quotes can help you in analyzing both prices and quality of the service from any long distance moving company. Consider the companies reliability and professionalism with relation to the moving estimates. You better pay more for a superb service with no regrets later!
- Additional costs involved in long distance relocation
Additional cost long distance moving factors should be considered. These are; storage options, insurance rates, packing services and special handling charges among others. You should include as much information on these services as possible on the quote form so as to get the most accurate quote for your move. You can trim down your additional services if you intend to reduce your moving costs.
How to collect long distance moving quotes
Looking for the appropriate long distance moving company is no easy task. You need to perform an extensive research on the same to safeguard yourself from moving scams and stress. In this case, collecting long distance moving quotes come in handy. You have to come up with the best reliable way to get as much moving quotes as possible to facilitate your moving decision on the best company which will meet both your standards and budget requirements. Some of the methods, which have been used by different people to determine moving quotes include;
- Home survey –this involve a moving company visiting your home, taking detailed survey on all your belongings and coming up with the corresponding quotes for the whole moving process. This is one the best method which will give you the most accurate long distance moving quotes from any moving company. In this case, you have to give all the details of your belongings to make sure that nothing is overlooked in this process.
- Over the phone quotes – this is done by speaking personally to the long distance moving company representative to get the moving estimates. In this case, you have to give detailed information as regard your belongings; approximate weight, volume, special handling and packing and the distance to be covered. This means that the moving quotes accuracy depends on your own accuracy. This method of getting moving quotes is not as effective as the home survey and may lead to under quoting of the whole relocation process.
- Online moving quotes– many moving companies are going the internet way. They provide a platform which you can interact with to give you all the moving tips, which you may require. This is one of the most cost and time effective ways of getting long moving quotes as it is cheap for both you and moving company. Beware of the online moving scams and do an extensive research on the company you wish to consider in the online platform.
Types of moving quotes
Most long distance moving companies use the following moving quotes.
- 1. Binding moving quotes – this is kind of a flat quote or estimate. With a binding quote, you are only obligated to pay the charges set forth despite the changes in the shipment weight. Binding estimate covers only the goods and services listed on the estimate. In case you intend to add other goods or you require additional services, the moving quote is subject to review by the mover before loading the shipment, or may bill you for any added services 30 days after your shipment, if your request is made after the shipment is in transit.
Any binding estimate must be in writing and you must be given a copy of it before moving. It is also worth noting that your mover may charge you for a binding estimate.
- 2. Non-binding moving quotes – there are no charges by the mover for providing you with non-binding moving quotes. They are neither bids nor contracts. Non-binding quotes are basically estimates of cost given by the mover upon a detailed survey of all your possessions to be moved with the final cost determined once the shipment is weighed. This means that a non-binding quote is based on the actual weight of the shipment and not the estimated weight, which makes the price lower than the binding quotes. However, it is worth noting that in these kinds of quotes, there is no guarantee that the cost will not exceed the estimate.
- 3. Not-to-exceed moving quotes – also known as guaranteed price or price protection quotes, not-to-exceed quotes are based on actual cost or on binding estimate whichever is lower. This kind of a quote is binding to the carrier and must be issued to you in writing.
Always remember to get the best quote that will fit both your special needs and financial capacity.