Relocation can result to total losses, damage of belongings and possibly not budgeted expenses. More often than not, this is a nightmare to most movers. The question inherent in most movers’ minds is, “what do I do now that I have sustained the damages?” No loss is small when it comes to relocation damages. Getting every piece of your belongings intact and not in pieces is imperative. Therefore, step by step procedures of recovering your belongings comes in handy. Ignorance and missing any point can act as a stair to your uncertain down fall.
Do not sit there, walk the recovery direction.
Upon delivery of your belongings, it is your right and responsibility to check their status immediately. Delay defeats the substance of the claim. Ensure that your luggage is in good condition. If otherwise, take the following initial steps.
- 1. Request for a claim form from claims department
- 2. Keep the damaged materials, boxes and also the items for further investigations. The claims department can decide to carry out an inspection upon receiving your claim. Keep it save.
- 3. Contact the claim department for any other assistance. Do not take anything to chances. Make sure you turn all small stones. Get information from the relevant authorities i.e. the claims department. Nobody is a jack of all trades, so just ask if you are in the dark about any fact. This will not be as expensive as doing things haphazardly, creating all the possibilities of sustaining losses.
Delay can subject you to unnecessary cases. Counter check the driver’s inventory and compare with your records. Identify any missing or damaged items. This should be made clear to the driver and noted immediately for claiming. A claim file must be established and an investigation done by the claims department. Before appending your signature on the delivery forms, ensure that every item is in the right condition. So take your time, check everything and raise any complain pertaining to the status of your belongings immediately.
How do you file the claim?
Get the claim forms from the claim department. Also you can call for clarification on any other information before filling the claim. Fill the form and ensure that all the evidences are available for any investigations.
What do you do if the mutual settlement with the moving company fails?
Arbitration or civil litigation can be the only solutions out. However, arbitration is less costly. The two parties can present their case to an impartial arbitrator to determine their destiny. This option is mainly available for,
1.Settling cargo/ belongings total loss or any damages.
- Solving any dispute regarding to invoicing. This is when the customer is charged too high than what the initial agreement specified. Transport and auxiliary services charges normally can lead to this dispute. An amicable solution can be establishing through arbitration.
Is this applicable to all scenarios? No there are some scenarios when a mover cannot be indemnified in case of any material loss. Such situations includes,
- 1.Luggage, which you pack for yourself
Most moving companies will not be liable for items packed by a customer. Especially when the content of such cartons is damaged, the company wills not mitigate the losses. The only exception to this case is if the boxes used to pack the items are damaged.
- 2.Damages due to climatic conditions
Some damages are caused by changes in temperature or humidity. These losses are ideally beyond the carriers control; therefore, you may not be indemnified. However, if you have all the reasonable reasons to believe that the damage was due to negligence of the moving company, you can claim for compensation.
- 3.Unknown internal mechanical conditions
In case of internal mechanical damages of appliances or electronics, the moving company will not be responsible. However if any external damages are noted, then you can claim for compensations.
National Arbitration forum (NAF) is an independent non-governmental body which oversees arbitration cases. This body is neither affiliated to AMSA or any other body hence dependable in arbitrating any moving cases countrywide. Pursue your issues rightly, and all will be jubilation.