Moving Scams of Moving Company . Just imagine about 40 million Americans moving per year! Among these people (about 15% falling to moving scams), the high number would prefer a full service moving company because of the convenience that comes with such a service. This is a tremendous number which can attract all kind of scum in the moving industry, which makes the moving industry to be one of the most targeted by moving scams with the aim of making an extra coin without having to sweat for it! With such unscrupulous movers in place and watching your every move to take advantage of your ignorance, you should be extra careful before settling for any particular mover to help with your relocation, be it local or international.
Information is power! This is what you need to avoid being a victim in this moving scams. Don’t harry to relocate by jut settling for any moving company. If your intention is not to adopt a self -moving or a do –it- yourself moving, then, you have some work to do before choosing a professional who is honest and efficient to help you move to your new destination. Remember that once you are in their hands, you lose. Your hard earned valuables may be stolen, time wasted, money extorted and they may also abuse you and many other evils.
This excerpt will open your eyes and make identify when you are about to fall into moving scams trap and will also give you some tips on how to avoid moving scams.
Here Are The 10 Moving Scams examples?
1. When the deal is too good think twice! – They come with abnormal low ball quotes all with an intention of wooing you into their traps. They understand that everybody is looking for a cheap deal and they know how to make you accept their deal without having a second thought. This is bait! You are about to be targeted! If this happens, switch your tactic and find a moving company which is reasonable. Always understand this; Quality is commensurate to Price!
2. No written contract! – Contract is a document that binds both parties in a certain transaction. If the moving company in question is not adhering to signing a written contract, consider another option because they might be up to something! An honest moving company will adhere to all steps and with no shortcuts. In case there is a contract, ensure that you read all the terms before putting your pen down!
3. Large deposits! – Why ask for extraordinary deposit? This might as well be a trap. Once you have paid that large upfront, you have given the company all the control. They will do what they please. Anyway, you have paid them and you cannot get the money back! However, if there is no way out, you can use a credit card to make the deposit. This will give you some control if by any chance the moving company tries anything fishy.
4. Frequent change of name! – If a moving company’s name is not static, don’t put your trust in them. In normal conditions, a company name should remain the same for years and be embedded in all their assets i.e. their trucks, crates and even in their employees uniform. If this is not the case, be cautious of such companies. They might devour you!
5. Mishandling your goods! – Any company that is efficient and committed to its work should take optimal care in handling it’s customer’s goods. The mover should ensure that your possessions are well packed, loaded and unpacked. It’s good to look for that company that other people have confident in. maybe you can seek reference from your neighbor who just moved. This will give you an assurance.
6. Under insurance! – Some companies may under insure your possession, which is detrimental in case an accident happens when relocating. This means that you will lose some properties as you will not be compensated for all loses. If you intend to hire a full service moving company with a full insurance package ensure that you check the insurance documents before you enter into any contract.
7. Background check! – Background check for all employees that the moving company will send you to help in your relocation is necessary. You might be dealing with criminals or a drug addict which means that your goods are under threat! They might steal some of your goods; break some among other awful things. You don’t want this to happen! Be prudent and inquire about this before it is too late. If the moving company does not provide you with this information…smell danger and walk away to avoid moving scams scenario to another choice!
8. Hold your possession hostage! – This is what happens when you don’t investigate the company’s charges into depth! Its obnoxious when after all is about to end only to be told that you haven’t paid some charges, which you were not even aware of! This is not entertaining. This has been prevalent and you should do all it takes to ensure that you have all the charges involved to move your goods at your fingertips to avoid any surprises.
9. Commitment! – You can know when a company is not serious just from the word go. A committed mover is not lackadaisical; he ought to check his business which is transporting your possession to your new home. If a mover doesn’t care visiting your house to do an analysis before the big day, take care!
Now that you have known how different scam artists camouflage, let’s look at some of the ways you can escape their trap
1. Research about the company! – Where is it located? Who owns the company? Who can you contact in case of any problem? By having this information, you are more empowered and you know where to start in case of any misconduct by the moving company.
2. Any license? – It’s prudent to check for the company’s license number. You can get this from the Department of Transportation (DOT). In addition, you should enquire for their Motor Carrier Number here. If these are available, you can start building trust on the company.
3. Initial company analysis! – For you to do a substantial analysis, you must have at least 3 companies under your investigation. Check their packages and terms of offer. It is wise to go deep into details and unravel any hidden charges or ask for clarification on the same. This will give you a stand on what company is best among those under your analysis.
4. Experience! – Checking the company’s experience will ensure that your possessions are in good hands. An experienced company is efficient and effective. They know what works and what does not. No guess work in the relocation process! This means that they will handle your goods more cautiously and their packing, loading and unloading is efficient.
5. Check the moving company’s reputation! – By checking what others say about the company, this will give you a clue about the company’s operations. You can check this information from the internet or from Better Business Bureau (BBB).
It is always advisable to be prudent and proactive all the times while dealing with moving company. Don’t take chances or else you will come to regret the turn of events. By heading to the above facets, you will be assured of a safe relocation and you will be right home and dry!
This is only 10 moving scams scenarios to take into consideration for more information please go to www.Protectyourmove.gov